When you wake up every morning, your mental health condition determines your daily routine. Many times we cannot understand that like other organ of the body, the brain also needs nutrition and energy every day. Just as physical exercise is necessary to keep the body fit, similarly brain exercise is also necessary for intelligence. In this Yoga can play a measure role. So here are the best yoga poses that can improve memory and concentration.
- LOSE WEIGHT FAST: DAILY 15 MINUTES WORKOUT PLAN
- BEST WAYS TO LOSE THIGH FAT AT HOME: GET SLIMMER TONED THIGHS
- BEST CARDIO EXERCISE TO LOSE BELLY FAT AT HOME
- YOGA FOR IMMUNITY: 8 YOGA ASANA’S TO BOOST YOUR BODY IMMUNITY
- 8 HIGH FATS FOOD: WHICH KEEPS YOU FIT & HEALTHY
1. Pranayama Or Controlled Breathing Pose
This is a simple process that can be done at the home, office or anywhere. After doing pranayama, a person’s mind immediately calms down. It relieves stress and helps in the conduction of all the important functions of the brain. Pranayama thus helps to improve memory and concentration. It can also be a factor in the immediate increase in cognition power.
How to do Pranayama
- Sit on a yoga mat. Keep a smile on your face.
- Keep your eyes closed for some time.
- Put your index finger between your ear and cheek.
- Take a long deep breath while exhaling, gently press the cartilage.
- Keep the cartilage pressed for some time and then release the pressure.
- While doing this, make a loud and long buzzing sound (like bees).
- Then take long deep breaths and repeat this process 3-4 times.
Other Benefits of Pranayama
- The science of Pranayama awakens the inner power of the body and enhances its efficiency.
- When air inhaled from the right nostrils left brain becomes active and vice versa.
- Pranayama is the best option to be stress free.
- Pranayama relaxes the nerves of the brain.
- The waves of the honey bee sound provide natural peace to the mind.
- It relieves negative emotions such as anger, annoyance, frustration and anxiety.
2. Paschimottanasana Or Seated Forward Bend Pose
This yoga is a surprisingly effective way to boost brainpower. Seated Forward Bend Pose increase blood circulation and oxygen flow towards the brain. It also stimulates the brain and nervous system. This pose promotes the activities of the brain. Paschimottanasana calms the brain and helps relieve stress and mild depression.
How to do Paschimottanasana
- Sit straight by keeping legs straight in front.
- Inhale and raise both hands above the head and pull.
- Exhale, lean forward and keep the spine straight.
- Put your hands on the feet, wherever they reach.
- Grab your claw and pull forward.
- Breathe in and slowly raise the head.
- Exhale gently and move the navel towards the knee.
- Repeat the process 2-3 times.
- Take a breath and sit back.
- Exhale and bring the hands down.
Other Benefits of Paschimottanasana
- It calms down headache and anxiety and reduces fatigue
- Stretches the spine, shoulders and hamstrings.
- It stimulates the liver, kidneys, ovaries, and uterus.
- Paschimottanasana also helps in improving the digestion.
- It helps to relieve the symptoms of menopause and menstrual discomfort.
3. Sethubandhasan Or Bridge Pose
Sethubandhasan relieves the mind and stress by strengthening and relaxing the muscles of the back. Increases blood circulation in the brain. It helps to calm down the disturbances of brain and nervous system, thereby reducing anxiety, stress and depression. Hence, this pose is an excellent way to retain memory and concentration.
How to do Sethubandhasan
- Lie down straight on your back.
- Bend your knees by keeping the knees and feet in a straight line.
- Keep a gap of 10-12 inches between both the legs.
- Keep your hands on the surface and close to the body.
- While inhaling, gently lift the lower, middle and upper parts of your back.
- Gently move your shoulders inwards.
- Without moving your chin, touch your chest and chin.
- Keep the lower body stable during this time.
- Try to raise your upper body by pressing your hands towards the ground.
- Keep the posture for 1-2 minutes and while exhaling come out of this pose.
Other Benefits of Sethubandhasan
- Creates good stretch in the back, chest and neck.
- Clears lung congestion and removes thyroid-related problems.
- Helps in improving digestion.
- Helps to recover from the problems related to menstruation and menopause.
- Beneficial in treating high blood pressure, asthma, osteoporosis and sinus.
4. Sarvangasana Or Shoulder Stand Pose
Sarvangasana nourishes the brain by transporting more blood. It regulates the function of the thyroid gland and pituitary gland. It activates pineal and hypothalamus of the brain which reinforces the brain by transporting more blood to the glands. Shoulder Stand Pose improves all the cognitive functioning of the brain and enhances the memory.
How to do Sarvangasana
- Lie down straight on your back.
- Raise your legs together then hips and then waist.
- Support your back with your hands.
- While pressing the elbows towards the ground keep your waist and legs straight.
- The entire weight of the body should be on the upper part of your shoulders and hands, not on your head and neck.
- Keep your feet straight and stiff.
- Keep breathing deeply and stay in the posture for 30-60 seconds.
- Slowly bring the waist down without lifting the head.
- Bring your feet to the ground.
Benefits of Sarvangasana
- Activates and nourishes Thyroid and Pitutary glands.
- Strengthens hands and shoulders and makes back more flexible.
- Activates the muscles of the heart and carries pure blood to the heart.
- Relieves constipation and activates digestion.
5. Halasana Or Plow Pose
The plough pose improves blood circulation and vitality. It also soothes the nerves. The practice of this asana brings peace to the mind. This asana provides a good stretch to the spine and effectively opens all the connecting nerves thus promotes memory and concentration.
How to do Halasana
- Lie down on your back.
- Keep your hands close to the body. The palms should touch the ground.
- While breathing in, lift the legs upwards.
- Support the waist with your hands while raising the legs.
- Bend the straight legs towards the head and move the legs behind the head.
- Touch the ground with the toe.
- Remove the hands from the waist and keep them straight on the ground. The palm will remain on the surface just in the direction opposite to the leg.
- The waist should be parallel to the ground.
- Remain in this position for one minute.
Other Benefits of Halasana
- Halasana helps to improve digestion.
- Increases metabolism and helps in weight loss.
- It is the best posture for diabetes patients as it controls the sugar level.
- It increases flexibility in the spine and gives relief in back pain.
- It also helps in dealing with stress and fatigue.
- It also helps eliminate problems associated with the thyroid gland.
- It is also beneficial in back pain, impotence, sinusitis, insomnia and headache.
What Else You Can Do To Improve Memory And Concentration
- Writing produces oxygenated blood flow to the areas of your brain that increase your memory.
- The best way to increase memory and remember things is to visualize in your brain.
- Reading out loud is considered useful to improve memory.
- Pay attention to your surroundings.
- Avoid multitasking.
- Develop creativity and learn new things.
- If you want to establish memory in your mind, repeat it again and again.
- You can improve your memory by making connections to what you see in your routine.
- Test yourself daily.
- Improve memory by eliminating stress.
- Meditate every day.
- Get enough sleep.
- Organize yourself.
- Motivate socialization.
- Laugh out loud.
- Listen to music.
- Consume Antioxidants.
- Eat healthy fats, nuts and whole grains.
- Drink enough water.
Hope you like this article. If you know about more such yoga which can improve memory and concentration then please write to me in the comment box. Share your queries and suggestion with me. Don’t forget to check the Instagram page “@beautifulyoufit” for more beauty tips and more.